Nutrition is essential for sound physical and mental health. Protein is a crucial micronutrient needed to build muscles and repair tissues. Protein powders are becoming popular and are available in every nutrition store and online store. People buy protein powder because they contain high-quality protein. In addition, teenagers and athletes need more protein in their diet. Vegans also take protein supplements because their diet doesn’t include protein-rich food like chicken, fish, meat and eggs. Taking protein supplements is an excellent way to add high-quality protein to the diet.
The protein requirement of an average adult for a day is 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight. Athletes and physically active people need 2 grams per kilogram of body weight. Excessive protein is not recommended because it can lead to dehydration or harm the kidneys. One egg or a small handful of nuts provides 6 grams of protein. Protein powder helps the body build muscles, repair tissues and make enzymes and hormones.
How to choose a protein powder
- People who want protein for muscle growth must choose a protein powder with high biological value. Whey proteins and whey isolates are the best protein supplements for them.
- People choosing protein powder for weight loss must choose shakes with no added sugars or maltodextrins. Also, they must avoid protein powders with added branched-chain amino acids because they support weight gain and muscle growth.
- Vegetarians and vegans must choose 100% plant-based protein shakes like pea, hemp and soy. They must not take milk-based protein shakes.
- Diabetic patients should choose protein supplements without added sugar and low in carbohydrates.
- People with irritable bowel syndrome and gastrointestinal problems must choose protein powders without lactose and maltodextrins.
Benefits of taking protein powder
- Protein powder is more satiating than fats and carbohydrates. It makes people feel full for a longer time. As a result, people do not feel like eating snacks, which helps them lose weight.
- Protein is essential for muscle growth, improving muscle mass and building muscle tissues. In addition, protein supplements increase muscle size and strength in people performing resistance training.
- Protein powder helps the body repair damaged muscles and tissues and enables speedy recovery from muscle soreness after an exercise session. It also improves muscle protein synthesis and muscle performance.
- Taking protein powder boosts the immune system. It is an excellent supplement to help people recover quickly from illnesses, injuries or other ailments.
- Protein powder helps in maintaining healthy hair and nail growth. Protein deficiency causes nails to become brittle. As a result, they split or break easily. Protein supplements help nails grow strong.
How to take protein powder
- Protein powder is to be taken in the morning because it makes a person feel full and reduces the appetite. In addition, it helps the body to stay strong and prevents it from going into a catabolic state.
- Taking protein powder before a workout helps people to perform better. Branched-chain amino acids in the protein help the body to maintain high glycogen stores and provide more energy.
- Protein intake after a workout helps in the quick recovery of the muscles. Protein powder increases the production of anabolic hormones, reduces protein breakdown and supplies amino acids for protein synthesis.
- People taking protein powders should drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration. Whey protein is the best supplement to gain muscles and improve health.
- People buy protein powder to meet their daily protein requirements. Physically active people need more protein, but legumes, seeds and nuts do not provide enough protein. Investing in protein powder helps people to achieve their goals.
Read more interesting articles at Good Thing2